Friday, April 26, 2013

My Blurb Books

I love my row of photobooks -- I can't wait for it to grow, and grow, and grow! :)
A friend asked me about my photo books that I make each year, and I told her I'd take some pictures for her. Yes, that was a few months ago, but I certainly didn't tell her when I'd take the pictures. :) So far I have four books -- two year books, and two for special events that happened. For the thinner black books I ordered from Shutterfly. You can read more about those in this post. I really like the quality of their books, but when you're putting together an 150+ page book, it's a lot cheaper to go with Blurb. Both of my year books cost around $75, compared to Shutterfly, where after 20 pages or so, it's a dollar per extra page.

With Blurb I downloaded their program called Booksmart, enabling me to work on the photobooks offline, and then upload them when I was ready. Using this program was so easy to figure out, and I love how customizable everything is. You can edit any of the pre-made layouts, or completely make your own.

They have a few different paper options -- for my first book I went with the cheapest, but then decided I'd upgrade for the second one. I'm glad I did, because the cheapest was really thin. I haven't decided if I think I need the highest quality one this year -- it sure does make the price jump! I'm making my books 8x10 inches, but Blurb offers a few different sizes: 7x7, 8x10, 11x13, and a 12x12. It would be fun to get bigger books, but they also make the price go up quite a bit...

 I can't wait to have a whole row of "Year in Photos" books on the shelf! I hope you enjoyed this view of what I do with my photos each year!

2 comments:

Amber said...

Those must be lots of fun to look through, Amy! And easier than a scrapbook..?

Also, I like your camera bag/ purse inserts, they must be helpful without adding a lot of weight!

I hope being back home has been nice! Again, perfect timing - totally miss the snowstorm and come back for the lovelies!

Amber said...

Those must be lots of fun to look through, Amy! And easier than a scrapbook..?

Also, I like your camera bag/ purse inserts, they must be helpful without adding a lot of weight!

I hope being back home has been nice! Again, perfect timing - totally miss the snowstorm and come back for the lovelies!